On 30 August 2005 15:17, Stuart Howard wrote:
> thanks for the response
>
> So far as I can tell I have not had ntp on my system, I have not put
> it on myself the only way it could have been on is if it were a
> default during original install of Gentoo in which case --depclean
> ought not to have removed it as it should "belong" to something [world
> , system ]
>
> I may give up on chrony and put a ntp on and see if that cures it,
> though I prefer not to just mask a problem if there is one, could a
> clock slowdown be something as serious as an indication of hardware
> problems?

Not really since your clock is on time after a boot.

Please understand that there are two "clocks" involved. One is a hardware
clock. The other one is the "system clock" which is software. "date" shows
the system clock. During the boot process, the content of the hardware clock
is copied to the system clock. That's why your system clock is correct after
booting. It also shows that your hardware clock is doing fine. Your system
clock is misbehaving.

Whatever the reason for its sluggishness, ntpd or ntpdate (using an ntp server
near you) should solve. Or, since your hardware clock is alright, a simple
"hwclock -ru" (if your clock is set to UTC) or "hwclock -r" (if not so)
should do the trick. Let cron execute it every hour or so.

Uwe

--
95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
developers. - Linus Torvalds

http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)