On 23 January 2013 11:53, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
>> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
>> emerge --update --deep --newuse system
<snip/>
>> So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
>
> And in answer...you've got it right. (Though I would use @world and/or
> @system, rather than leaving off the @)

Why? While "@world" refers to the world set explicitly, it does
exactly the same as "world", doesn't it?. You could save a whole
character! ;-) More seriously, the @ character isn't easy to type so
I'd rather avoid it unless there is a real benefit to using it.

More to the point, doing "emerge ... system" *after* "emerge ...
world" seems pointless. World includes system so I would expect
everything in system to already have been updated. It would make more
sense to start with "emerge ... system" but even then: what is the
advantage over simply (only) running "emerge ... world"?

Cheers,
Hilco