On 07/02/2013 23:07, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Which is silly, as username+hostname is not guaranteed to be a
>> singleton in any universe.
>
> ? I can't think of any way that username+incoming-hostname can result in
> anything other than a single, individual users account, so I guess I'm
> totally missing what you are saying.

 it
A few examples off the top of my head:

1. Two imap servers on the same host running on different ports and no
reason why a user can't have accounts on both servers
2. port forwarding on localhost to a variety of impa servers somewhere
else (port forwarding gets around corporate firewall rules that
Thunderbird can't deal with)
3. Because I can and there's no legitimate reason for a mail client to
get in my way
4. Corporate sysadmins like me use tricks like this all the time to a)
fix real problems b) comply with frantic business requests c) stay
within budget d) get around stupid rules proclaimed by idiot managers
with single figure IQs

There are more valid reasons why this setup can occur and I have a lack
of mentions in RFCs to prove it.
There are no valid reasons for a mail client to get in my way like this
and I have a lack of RFC mentions that allow it to prove

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com