>>> # /etc/init.d/shorewall restart
>>>  * Stopping firewall ...
>>>  * Starting firewall ...
>>> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
>>>
>>> How can I find out which chain/target/match I need to compile into the
>>> kernel?  shorewall-init.log does not indicate any problems and I have
>>> LOG_VERBOSITY=2 in shorewall.conf which is the maximum.
>>
>> I hade the same problem. Using "shorewall trace restart" I could figure
>> out which chain/target/match that was missing.
>
> Thanks, that got them.  A couple oddities:
>
> 'shorewall trace restart' produced output the same as
> shorewall-init.log which contained no info useful for this purpose.
> However, 'shorewall trace restart > file.txt' sent completely
> different output to file.txt which did contain all of the needed info.
>  How can that be?

I didn't actually make the comparison between 'shorewall trace
restart' and 'shorewall trace restart > file.txt'.  I only compared
the console output to the contents of file.txt after running the
single command 'shorewall trace restart > file.txt'.  Considering
this, I think the above makes sense because it would have redirected
certain output to the file and only the remaining output would have
appeared on the console.

- Grant