Joseph wrote:
> On 02/22/13 02:36, Dale wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:

>>> Yes, I just updated the system.
>>> When I try to compile nvidia-drivers I get this message:
>>> test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf ||
>>> (      \
>>> echo;                        \
>>> echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";      \
>>> echo "         include/generated/autoconf.h or
>>> include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
>>> echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to
>>> fix it.";   \
>>> echo;
>>>
>>> And I did run "ake oldconfig" when I upgraded the kernel.
>>>

>> It also says to run make prepare.  Me, I would run "make all" if I
>> could.  I'm assuming you have complete access to your own system here.
>>
>> My next question in my mind.  How did you compile a kernel and not run
>> make all?  If you compiled the kernel you are running on that system
>> then all that should be there.  That leads to a new question.  What
>> kernel is /usr/src/linux pointing too?  Is it the correct one?
>>
>> Just thinking out loud here.  Maybe it helps.
>>
>> Dale
>
> I just run: make all
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `relocs'.
>   CHK     include/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
> make[3]: `arch/x86/realmode/rm/realmode.bin' is up to date.
> Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#2)
>   Building modules, stage 2.
>   MODPOST 6 modules
>
> usuall after: make oldconfig
> I run: make && make modules_install
>
> the kernel I'm using is linux-3.5.7-gentoo

Then the error you are getting is weird.  I do basically the same thing
as you.  I run make oldconfig, answer the questions there, run make all
&& make modules_install and that is it.  After that, I can update
nvidia's drivers and such and it not complain.  I have in the past
forgot to change the symlink tho.  I used to do it manually but now use
eselect to do that.  Just for giggles, what does eselect kernel list
show as being selected?  Maybe something is not quite right there.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!