On August 31, 2005 04:02 am, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On 30 August 2005 16:31, bshlists wrote:
> > On August 30, 2005 10:51 am, Holly Bostick wrote:
> > > Afaik, it's not a change to a config file, it's a change in the way you
> > > generate the initramfs.
> > >
> > > If you compile it into the kernel (instructions on the Wiki; see How-to
> > > fbsplash), it will start up at the very start.
> > >
> > > If you load it as a separate initrd, you have to wait for the
> > > framebuffer to initialize before the splash can start (which takes a
> > > short while).
> > >
> > > Naturally, if you change from loading an initrd to compiling the initrd
> > > into the kernel, you do have to change a config file (grub.conf, to
> > > remove the initrd= line, since you no longer have one), but changing
> > > the file alone won't make any difference if you haven't changed the way
> > > you create the initrd in the first place.
> > >

> > > HTH,
> >
> > Holly
> >
> > Okay.  The method I used was by genkernel and the initramfs I'm using was
> > to get the autodetection feature.  If I change this don't lose that
> > ability or does it matter?
>
> "genkernel --menuconfig --gensplash=yourtheme --gensplash-res=1024x768 all"
> or whatever resolution you want. You can use the initramfs as usual.
>
> Uwe

Thanks for the suggestion.  After reading Holly's suggestion I did more
reading and found what you just posted.  What seemed to mess my attempts up
was that I had to delete the old initramfs before running the above command
or I would just get the same results.

Once that was sorted you everything was good. :-)

--
DWW