On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:07:45 -0500
Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Doing my usual Saturday system update, I saw a prominent msg
> telling me that 'module-init-tools' has been masked
> & to use 'kmod' or 'modutils' -- the msgs vary -- to replace it.
> When I did so (both), Nvidia wouldn't start, even after remerging it.
> Back with 'module-init-tools' -- now in 'package.unmask' -- all is
> well.
>
> Does anyone know what's going on ? -- did I miss a 'news' item ?

ISTR you start with USE="-*".  When you built kmod, was it with the
tools flag enabled?  The virtual requires it, so probably you did, but I
thought it was worth asking.

I went with kmod because of what the masking comment for
module-init-tools said, and I haven't noticed any
trouble.  I've got nvidia-drivers-310.32.  I know, WFM doesn't help
much.  Sorry, and good luck!