On 12.03.2013 22:09, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
Am 12.03.2013 12:51, schrieb Yuri K. Shatroff:

The starting point has to be someone identifying the problem.
When you come e.g. to a car service and say, 'my engine is not working
properly e.g. ignition fails or sort of', do you expect the mechanic
to answer, 'hell why are you coming to me? you know the problem, c'mon
fix it yourself'?

no, because I am going to pay a shitload of money. See the difference?

So what if the problem be posed like:
"You found an issue. Here's my bank account. The more you pay, the quicker you get it fixed"
(that is not personal, just a view)
:)

Nobody is paying me to hang around on this list. A list that is full
with threads about problems that are:

occuring every odd month, so a little search would have answered the
question

obvious user errors

caused by stupid behaviour
or
easily fixable with a little bit of thinking and/or using google.

Bonus points: people being pissy if pointed out.

Well, you're not paid for the answers to these petty bugs, too :) I mean, if you think one's run into his own stupidity, you're not required to answer him :)

At some point you have three choices dealing with this:
go away, because the shit isn't worth it anymore

swallow it, show your nicest smile and go on in the hope that someday
somebody might grow up

become an asshole.

I have chosen option number three. I admit it freely. There are very few
people on this list whose opinion I really care about. Those people
earned my respect. So why staying and act like this? Because sometimes
people are ok. Sometimes there are good threads. Because some people do
see the pattern. Others realize that a bit of own research means a lot
of time saved. Their own time. Learning something. Stuff like that. Btw,
Daniel? cool reaction. I liked that.

Really, I thought from the beginning that you're kinda acting :) and Daniel apparently realized that, too. Why I started this talk, it was probably me not quite knowing your way of acting. But I never thought anything like you are a real asshole :)

Or even more of it, 'your car is what it is, you wanna drive -- buy a
limousine for a couple hundred grands'?

you are proposing that. 'Oh, this car needs manual intervention and some
thinking. Mod your car to turn it into Carbuntu! It will do everything
for you! Even driving! And breaking!*

*except in icy conditions or raining. There will be no warning.

hell, even limousines break under conditions usually viewed as 'normal'. :)
What I said was a reply to "if you want things fixed, use ubuntu"
Though I can't perceive ubuntu as a limo versus gentoo as a "bad car"; to me, it's rather the opposite :) but when one answers like that, "gentoo is what it is, go use <my_unfavorite_OS>" that sounds like I said. (that means, kinda pejorative towards gentoo. That's another thing I was trying to highlight)

Yes, you can expect that a gentoo user is more familiar with the
things but you can't expect everyone capable of everything.
And clearly, there are people who'd do it better than an average
gentoo user.

This is not a unique situation, there are other out of tree drivers that
give such a message, and plenty more that don't. All it needs is for
someone to take the time to fix it - rather than demanding that someone
else fixes it for them.

Yes, that's it -- if you can't do it yourself, just inform someone who
has the time and ability to fix it. And no profound discussions about
what gentoo is and what it is not. Because (it's my humble opinion of
course) he who discusses the most does the least.

have a look at the checks in ati or nvidia drivers, create a suitable
patch for every other driver. Not that hard. If you want to do it.

I don't. Seriously.

Perhaps I'll try.

Thank you for expressing your point of view, after we discussed you behind your back :)

--
Best wishes,
Yuri K. Shatroff