> We discussed using a simple RC timer to cut power to the device after a
> certain amount of uptime, but if I pointed out that if we were spend the
> time going to that trouble, we may as well go whole-hog and add built-in
> encryption and make money off the thing.
>
> I think the grab-data-and-eject solution is probably the best for our
> purposes.

What about wiping the key.

I would investigate if a hdparm reset negates that security.

A long shot that all systems especially likely small ones will have
floppies (though there may be a usb one) but using a floppy eject would
certainly be one way (ignoring any buffers) as it is 100% mechanical
on the enable direction.

However why not just use a usb with perms set to root. If an attacker
can get root which should be the biggest barrier and you are not worried
about physical access then even SELINUX/RBAC may not save you.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)