On 2013-03-22, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

>> > If you don't need user session monitoring for anything (which is what
>> > ConsoleKit and logind provides), nor interactive privilege granting
>> > (which is what polkit provides), then I believe you will have no
>>
>> Thanks. Now *that* is what I call explaining something in a nutshell :-)
>>
>> > problems switching OpenRC and systemd withouth needing to recompile
>> > anything. However, that means no upower and no udisks at least; GNOME
>> > cannot run without any of those. XFCE needs them if the udev USE flag
>> > is enabled, which is enabled by default in Gentoo desktop profiles,
>> > and in KDE the three of them are optional dependencies turned on by
>> > default. You can turn them of in XFCE and KDE, but you kinda lose
>> > functionality without them.
>>
>> I do indeed remember having to fight the KDE use flags so that I could
>> pull kdelibs without pulling the whole set of u* things someone decided
>> that were required for a desktop environment (the fun thing being that I
>> wasn't even using KDE as a DE).
>>
>> But I hope you don't mean the GNOME *libs* will be requiring
>> logind/Consolekit/... in the near future? That would cause me some
>> trouble, as I rely on evince a lot.
>
> A good overview though I don't agree with "If you don't 'need'"
>
> Did your desktop really fail to run at all?

I don't need any of this u* or other things for my desktop computer to
work. Maybe this is related to the fact that I don't run a desktop
environment, even if I use linux for desktop computing and run X.

> Why are dependencies suddenly getting a lot worse (ignoring konquerorFM
> without kde) when for so long dependencies were understood to be a big
> problem that must be fixed. It can only be bad design if a desktop does
> not work at all because < 1% of the functionality is missing and may
> well have been replaced in every case above by alternative and in some
> cases superior (permissions) that may override others (sessions you
> don't use), choices of functionality.

Bad design, bad choices by developers, people who don't want to accept
binary distros aren't the only thing around, and people who don't have a
taste for simplicity.

> Is it really a freedesktop when almost all the rest are free-er?

freedesktop seems to be doing a good job at creating standards where
there were no standards, the problem is that (IMHO) they seem to be
coming up with bad standards to fill the gap (see clipboard/selection
handling), and sometimes it is actually good to have things done in
different ways.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/