On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 23:01:30 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> > Running MAKEOPTS="-j1" as default on a multi-core processor seems an
> > awful waste of resources, unless it is needed for something else, in
> > which case I don't run emerge at all.
>
>   Running around for a few hours trying to replicate an unreplicatable
> build failure is even more of a waste.

That depends on the number of cores you have. On a dual core system this
may well be true, although I'd dispute even that.

% cat /etc/portage/package.env/* | grep -c -e j4 -e j1
4

Four packages out of the 1730 installed on this computer require special
treatment, and all of them build with -j4.

--
Neil Bothwick

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"