> Before this gets into a flame war, let's just operate under the
> assertion that the "best" window manager/desktop environment is
> strictly a matter of personal preference.

yes it is. Mine is KDE. It eats hardware but I do not care. It's
configurable and convenient, and I like the development process.

Many bugs and feature requests I've posted have been fixed or included
in a very short time. It's stable and consistent, and there are a lot
of "third party" applications which integrate perfectly.

No flamewar, but most of the above reasons are not valid for Gnome. I
dislike applications with multi panel windows, and the file open and
save dialog, a basic GUI element, simply is a pain compared to KDE.

Best regards

    ce