On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:06:16 +0100
Norman Rieß <nor...@smash-net.org> wrote:

>  As we all know everything works better and cheaper when things are
> privatized

Actually No it's not so simple at all.

You get incompetence in private and public and you may be more likely
to get away with it for longer in a public service than in a market with
competition but there are many examples where things simply get worse.

In the UK, water companies were privatisied and fat cats made lots of
money letting the pipes deteriorate for future generations.

British Telecom, well that's a mixed bag but it is certainly a
tiny shadow of it's original self.

We know ideals and theory hardly ever work but theoretically public
should be much better when well managed.

I wonder if ISPS wouldn't be handling things like TalkTalks
Homesafe in such a stupid manner (across the board is where it is
stupid, even for non users of the service) where they redirect all the
http traffic through an undoubtedly insecure layer 7 handling huawei
device with less commercial pressures or analysing bandwidth at layer
7 when they should be doing so more safely and completely at layers 3
and 4 leading me to believe they are not just thinking about bandwidth
usage. Why does it matter if you download 1000Gb via torrents or http.
ACKs can be managed in any case.

I'm glad open source is beginning to make strides into public services
as it should help put an end to expensive interoperability issues (if
we stay away from non posix things like systemd, though even then
shouldn't be too bad ;-)).