Tanstaafl wrote:
> I should have added that this is for a server (not hardened), so I
> don't care about hot plug this or that, I just care about stability
> and reliability with respect to updates not breaking booting
> capability...

As far as I know, it is actively maintained.  Do I see the people
banging hammers, no.  lol  I did have a update on eudev tho:

     Sun Feb 10 20:07:23 2013 >>> sys-fs/eudev-1_beta2-r2
       merge time: 55 seconds.

This is from the changelog for eudev:

  10 Mar 2013; Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org> eudev-9999.ebuild:
  Remove hacky export ac_cv_path_GPERF=true since the check is merged
upstream

  10 Mar 2013; Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org> eudev-9999.ebuild:
  Depend on gperf only if USE=keymap, bug #452760

  20 Feb 2013; Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org>
files/40-gentoo.rules:
  Sync 40-gentoo.rules with sys-fs/udev, bug #457868

*eudev-1_beta2-r2 (10 Feb 2013)

  10 Feb 2013; Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org>
+eudev-1_beta2-r2.ebuild,
  -eudev-1_beta2-r1.ebuild:
  Rev bump to push out root fix, bug #456384

  09 Feb 2013; Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> eudev-1_beta2-r1.ebuild,
  eudev-9999.ebuild, +files/eudev-hwdb-offset-root.patch:
  Update eudev ebuilds to support ROOT properly

It seems the latest change was March 10 which was not long ago.  As I
mentioned earlier, I have plugged in USB sticks, cameras, printers and
such pretty regular.  The eudev fork has worked fine for me.  Servers
seem to worry less about *new stuff* since they usually run with what
they have at boot time anyway.  Heck, mdev may would work fine for you
too.

It seems based on reading the -dev list that udev is about to introduce
some more changes.  I'm hoping those don't affect me either.   I just
noticed that someone else on this list has ran into the news message for
it too and has questions already.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!