On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:04:24PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> >   Did an update today.  After the update, I checked again...
> >
> > [d531][waltdnes][~] emerge -pv --update --changed-use world
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> >
> > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
> >
> >   Good... nothing to add... I think.  But replace "--update" with
> > "--emptytree", and a whole bunch of new and updated stuff shows up.  Is
> > there a logical explanation?  Should I emerge world?  Or just the new
> > and updated stuff (with the -1 flag)?  Here are listings of the new and
> > updated stuff...
>
> The extra stuff is probably build-time deps, which do not get updated
> by default. Try this:
>
> emerge -pv --update --changed-use --with-bdeps=y world

  I see nothing at all to be emerged...

[d531][waltdnes][~] emerge -pv --update --changed-use --with-bdeps=y world

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

  I've written an "autodepclean" script that I run to guide me through
cleaning up orphaned dependancies.  Think of it as a "sane depclean".
After each use, I run revdep-rebuild to ensure that nothing is broken.
Could this be at the root of my situation?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>