On Apr 1, 2013 2:10 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/03/2013 20:26, Dale wrote:
> > Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:

> >> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that, it
> >> being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some solution like
> >> the old rule generator, instead of using udev's approach.
> >>
> >> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a point in
> >> removing this, the approach there was so far was just a dirty hack.
> >>

> > Thing is, it works for me.  The old udev worked,
>
> It's more accurate to say it worked by accident rather than by design.
> (Sort of like how the power utility gets power to your house - if yours
> is anything like mine I get power despite their best efforts to not give
> me any ...)
>
> Anyway, the old method sucked and it sort of works for you and I because
> we don't add anything ourselves that trip it up. But this new method...
> geez lads, I just dunno.
>
> How do Windows, Mac and Android deal with this stuff? They don't seem to
> have any device naming problems, so what is the magic solution in use on
> those platforms?

I'm not sure about Macs and Android, but with Windows it all happens based
on MAC address.

I found about it quite accidentally; I had exported a VM from XenServer and
imported it to a different host. By default, XenServer assigns a new,
random MAC for imported VMs. Windows saw this and proceeded to initialize a
new NIC. When I tried setting the IP settings, it complained that the
settings are currently being used by an invisible NIC. So, I shut down the
VM, restored the old MAC, and the prior settings reappeared.

Rgds,