On Tuesday 02 Apr 2013 13:13:26 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 30.03.2013 12:36, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> > But small progress, yes.
>
> I am close, I feel it :-)
>
> Switched to wvdial to rule out NM etc.
>
> wvdialconf etc ....
>
> I now have:
>
> [Dialer Defaults]
> Modem Type = Analog Modem

Are you sure it is an analogue modem?  Is this entry needed?

> Dial Attempts = 1
> ISDN = 0
> New PPPD = yes
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0
> Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0

The driver should create a number of devices, ttyUSB0/ttyUSB1/ttyUSB2/...  Try
them all in turn, only some may allow PPP connections.

> Baud = 9600

Unless you are just trying to dial out over a PSTN number (which you are not)
you should be able to increase the baud to a higher number; e.g. 115200

> [Dialer pin]
> Init2 = AT+CPIN=3451
>
> [Dialer eins]
> Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","A1.net","",0,0,0,0
> Username = p...@a1plus.at
> Password = ppp
> Dial Command = ATDT
> Dial Attempts = 3
> Phone = *99#
> Stupid Mode = 1
>
> ----> I first run "wvdial pin" then :
>

> # wvdial eins
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
> --> Initializing modem.
> --> Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0
> OK
> --> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","A1.net","",0,0,0,0
> AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","A1.net","",0,0,0,0
> OK
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Sending: ATDT*99#
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> ATDT*99#
> CONNECT
> --> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
> --> Starting pppd at Tue Apr  2 14:09:43 2013
> --> Pid of pppd: 24968
> --> Using interface ppp0
> --> Disconnecting at Tue Apr  2 14:10:13 2013
> --> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
> --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.

Did you get anything more detailed in your logs?

Do you have a pap-secrets file even if empty?  If not:

touch /etc/ppp/pap-secrets; chmod 600 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

If it still fails try adding something like this:

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
"user"  *       ""

HOWEVER ...

I thought that the whole idea is to use this modem to connect on a 4G (LTE)
network ... yes?

In which case PPP is not the correct protocol.  If this Huawei is using
Qualcomm chipset you should be using the qmi protocol and the cdc_ncm driver
ought to do all the dialling using this device (from your dmesg):

[22765.769603] cdc_ncm 1-1.1:1.1 wwan0: register 'cdc_ncm' at
usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.1, Mobile Broadband Network Device, 0c:5b:8f:27:9a:64

Other driver/protocols that can achieve high speeds of 4G are cdc-ether, cdc-
acm, but your card ought to pick out the correct available protocol from the
corresponding kernel module.  PPP incurs an overhead (due to packet
encapsulation) and throughput speeds will be slower.

That's how I understand these devices to work, but unfortunately I can't
verify any of this because I do not have access to such a device or a 4G
network.  :-(

I hope someone else who does can chime in.
--
Regards,
Mick