On 04/08/2013 11:39 AM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2013 9:07 PM, "Michael Hampicke" <gentoo-u...@hadt.biz
> <mailto:gentoo-u...@hadt.biz>> wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.04.2013 17:20, schrieb Michael Mol:
>> > So, I'm trying to verify whether or not Pidgin can talk to Google Voice
>> > on my laptop. When searching around for instructions, I get the
>> > impression that this is supposed to "just work", and I don't see much in
>> > the way of people actually having difficulty with it.
>> >
>> > In my case, if someone calls me, my gmail tab rings at me, my phone
>> > rings at me, but Pidgin doesn't so much as twitch.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else had this working on Gentoo?
>> >
>> > Here's what I'm working with:
>> >
>> > net-im/pidgin-2.10.7-r1 was built with the following:
>> > USE="dbus doc gnutls gstreamer gtk (multilib) ncurses networkmanager nls
>> > python spell tk xscreensaver zeroconf (-aqua) -debug -eds -gadu
>> > -groupwise -idn -meanwhile -perl -prediction -sasl -silc -tcl -zephyr"
>> > ABI_X86="64"
>> >

>> I never got this to work either. I tried google-voice-calling ( :-) )
>> myself from my android phone to pidgin on the work station and got
>> nothing. Also I cannot make outgoing calls from pidgin to my android
> phone.
>>

> Same here. It seems Google Talk uses some different protocol unlike
> pidgin which uses jingle. Pidgin to pidgin calling works.

On my wife's workstation (running Windows), I'm told it works; pidgin
tells her someone's calling when someone calls her google voice number.
(She ignores it, though, since she doesn't actively use Pidgin for voice.)

So Pidgin is capable of talking to Google's variant on XMPP-Jingle, but
for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work on Gentoo, from the sound of it.