Hello gentoo-users,

Yesterday I completed a world update (amd64, unstable) and now I can't login with kdm. (I have kdm set as display manager in /etc/conf.d/xdm, and started from default runlevel) After booting, the login screen appears as usual. I type login/password and then a glimpse of X's default x-shaped pointer on black background appears, returning to the login screen. I don't get any sensible errors, neither in kdm.log nor in messages, all I see is:

[/var/log/kdm.log]
-----------------------------
klauncher(21958) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdmgreet(21952)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed: "Not connected to D-Bus server"

kdmgreet(21952)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained from ktimezoned
-----------------------------

But I guess this is unrelated, since dbus is running (and restarting it doesn't help, nor does restarting xdm)

Each time login fails I also see this in
[/var/log/messages]
-----------------------------
Apr 9 11:33:53 localhost kdm: :0[20396]: pam_unix(kde:session): session opened for user yks by (uid=0) Apr 9 11:33:54 localhost kdm: :0[20396]: pam_unix(kde:session): session closed for user yks

No other logs appear to change.

Needless to say that kdm 4.10.1 and earlier worked properly, and no configuration files were changed during the last update.

As a workaround, I just typed startx on the console (with startkde in .xinitrc) and KDE started up, so I assume the problem is somewhere around kdm.

Any ideas?

P.S. I had no problem with networking and udev which got updated from 197-r9 to 200 and the network interface name didn't change from eth0 (the 80-*rules file was a regular file full of commented text)

--
Best wishes,
Yuri K. Shatroff