On 9 April 2013, at 19:56, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 06:02:38AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote
>
>> Personally, I didn't know people still used LILO (no flame intended, I
>> just didn't realize it was still alive and kicking), but then gentoo was
>> my first real experience with linux...
>
>  It works; i.e. it loads the OS, with a minimum of fuss.  What more can
> anyone ask for?

This must be a terribly ancient discussion, in which all the pros and cons have
already been aired. I trust I don't reignite anything with this statement, but…

I find it rather inelegant to have to run a command to update lilo, after
editing a text file.

If my configuration is to be stored in a textfile - which makes a lot of sense
- I find it preferable my bootloader should be able to read that text file.

Of course this makes the bootloader "unnecessarily complicated", so I guess
it's a matter of taste - that's how I'm inclined to feel about GRUB2.

Stroller.