Neil Bothwick schreef:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:58:36 -0400, John Dangler wrote:
>

>> I've figured out that if you open apps in one workspace, and then
>> switch to another, those apps don't appear, which does give me some
>>  idea of the mechanics, but I'd like to customize what starts and
>> what is available in each one individually...
>

> I don't know about GNOME, but in KDE you right click the window's
> titlebar and select Advanced  -> Special window settings. Here you
> can specify how the program opens its windows, including which
> desktop (or all of them).

That is a  'cool KDE feature' that GNOME doesn't have. Gnome =>v2,
anyway. Apparently Gnome 1.x (which used sawfish for its WM)
did have some capacities in this respect. However, as previously
mentioned, GNOME will remember what desktop a program was opened
on in the last session, if the session was saved with the program open.

But of course, all programs do not support saving their session state at
the close of session (Mozilla, Firefox and T-bird being noticeable among
this group), so that won't always help.

I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but this function (should you
choose to use it) is exactly what devilspie is for. It was designed to
attempt to recreate the window-matching properties of Sawfish for other WMs.

The prinicple is that devilspie watches (invisibly) for a window opening
event, and when one occurs, it compares the properties of that window to
the properties of the windows that you have said you want acted upon in
the config, and then acts upon the window as you specified in the
config. You have a fair amount of flexibility in what qualities of the
window you want matched (you could match all gaim windows, or only the
ones that have 'MSN' in the title) and you have a wide range of
operations you can perform on the specified window (send it to a
particular desktop, maximize/minimize./size to a particular size, make
sticky/pin on all desktops, set it to a particular location on the
desktop, etc).

The documentation is decidedly minimal, and it's a good thing to know
about 'xprop' to get the properties of application windows in the first
place, but the included sample and reference is enough to get started
with, and experimentation is not difficult. Certainly it works well and
does what it says on the tin, afaics (and I've been using it for some time).

However, as someone who has set up many applications to be on specific
desktops, I will say that you might find it not as useful as it seems at
first glance, depending on how you work. It can be quite distracting to
open a program-- let's say a file manager-- because there was a message
in a terminal saying 'look at thus and so file', and have the file
manager open on a different desktop than the terminal (because normally
you want the fm out of your way when you're working with it, but in this
case you don't). So such a configuration is somewhat constricting in
terms of using many applications.

But for applications that aren't used flexibly (like Thunderbird, which
I always open on desktop 1, so it's never in my way and I don't mind
switching desktops to check my mail while I'm waiting for an emerge to
finish), it can be useful.

HTH,
Holly