On 04/25/13 09:10, J. Roeleveld wrote:
On Thu, April 25, 2013 07:48, Joseph wrote:

<SNIP>

I just tried as you suggested, the only active line in: pg_hba.conf
 local     all     all     trust

anything else is commented out. I restarted the server but I still can
connect to postgresql from another computer via Firefox.

Joseph,

Let me put it in really simple terms:
1) Firefox is NOT a database client, it can NOT connect to a database
2) Firefox IS a webbrowser, it ONLY connects to a webserver

This means, Postgresql will NOT see ANY connection made by Firefox.

The website you have running ON TOP OFF apache makes the connection to
Postgresql.

Eg. it goes like the following:

User <-> Firefox <-> Apache/website <-> Postgresql

Any of the above can ONLY see their immediate neighbour.

--
Joost

So pg_hba.conf only controls direct connections to postgreSQL. Since "apache" group is in postgres user; apache was given permission to access the database in this case py-passing the setting in pg_hba.conf
Is there a way to force sequence:
Apache/website <-> pg_hba.conf <-> Postgresql

--
Joseph