On 4/26/13, Jarry <mr.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26-Apr-13 16:10, Joseph wrote:
>> On 04/25/13 10:33, Nick Khamis wrote:
>>>
>>> We are trying to sync our server's time with an accurate ntp
>>> server, and was wondering which of the many solutions are
>>> considered viable. I did see the
>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization.
>>> Our services are quite time sensitive.
>>
>> put this script on a cron and enjoy :-)
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> /usr/bin/rdate -s 128.138.140.44
>> /sbin/hwclock --systohc
>
> Yeah, enjoy mysterious crashes of some services which die
> whenever system time changes rapidly, in one big step
> (i.e. dovecot, TS, etc)!
>
> Man, I sincerely hope you do *NOT* mean this seriously.
> It might work on desktop but that's definitely NOT the way
> time on servers should be updated! Some services are so
> sensitive they crash even if you shift time 0.2s back
> or forth!
>
> I had even to include "tinker step 0" in my ntpd.conf
> just because of that problem (it means ntpd will now never
> adjust time by stepping, always only by slewing, which in
> my case is max 0.5ms per second)...
>
> Jarry
> --
> Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the many solutions however, I am totally lost as to which would
be most reliable in a collocation setting vs. office desktop. What we would like
is to set up our own ntp server which other servers and desktops in our office
syncs to. Is this advised? If so, is there a nice tutorial online?

Kind Regards,

N.