On 05/02/2013 09:27 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
> 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2.  It used to take about an hour.
>
> Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
> was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
> -p <long path>).  Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
> execute.  All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
>
> There seems to be something suboptimal here.  Has anybody else seen
> this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?

I've been seeing it for a long time.  I even filed a bug report, which
vapier confirmed and he renamed my bug report "ebuild spends too much
time polling ${obscure-socket-name}".

I just looked for the bug report but I can't find it.  Eventually the
problem went away and I assumed he fixed it, but maybe not -- your
problem seems identical.

Come to think of it, maybe the problem disappeared because I've been
using libreoffice-4 for quite a while now, and lo-4 never had that
bug.

Or maybe some old update of portage fixed the problem for me, dunno.