Hello Andrea,

Thank you so much for your response! I was reluctant to include
configuration related material for the sake of not insulting anyone
however, on the server we have set:

server  tick.nrc.ca minpoll 64 maxpoll 1024 iburst prefer
server  tock.nrc.ca minpoll 64 maxpoll 1024 iburst
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0

broadcast 192.168.2.255 minpoll 64

# Synchronize Hardare Clock
CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes"

The reason I manually set min/maxpoll is to be in compliance with ntp
server requirements:

minpoll/maxpoll may not be changed below the defaults of 64 seconds
and 1024 seconds respectively.

For the client, I have:

disable auth
broadcastclient
server ntp.server.com prefer

# Synchronize Hardare Clock
CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes"

As for /etc/conf.d/ntpd, we have set nothing. To be honest I did not
even know the file
existed till you mentioned it:

NTPD_OPTS="-u ntp:ntp"

I would have liked to be better prepared for this but the gentoo wiki
page has been down for a few weeks now. We are not looking for
microsecond synchronization however, down to the second would be nice!

Kind Regards,

Nick.