On 14.05.2013 13:42, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
On 05/14/2013 11:15:29 AM, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
On 14.05.2013 13:05, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
Hi,
recently I have problems with CUPS (1.6.2) with cups-filters-1.0.34

I see lots of strange error messages in /var/log/cups/error_log like

Filter "pdftops" not found.

  but there is a /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pdftops

   and then

ps: File "/etc/cups/${EPREFIX}/usr/libexec/cups/filter/commandtops" not
available: No such file or directory

These paths look strange.

Does any know what's going on here?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Hi Helmut,
I also had this problem after installing CUPS. There is a trouble with
permissions, AFAIR you need to check that /var/spool/cups is
accessible to your user: that is, ensure that you're in the lp group
and /var/spool/cups group is lp. I can not be sure that this dir was
the only one to check but it was the permissions which was the problem.

Thanks Juri.
What do you mean by 'accessible' - here I have only group execute
permission, i.e.

ls -ld /var/spool/cups  gives
drwx--x--- 3 root lp 32768 May 14 11:37 /var/spool/cups

Accessible really means accessible, i.e. when you are able to chdir to it and see its contents.
Apparently, the dir lacks "group read" permission, i.e. it should be
drwxr-x---
the `execute` bit alone doesn't allow one to access the directory.
That is probably a portage bug or sort of.

And what do you have in /etc/cups/cups-files.conf

Actually I didn't even look there. Yes, everything is the same.

Here I still have

# Default user and group for filters/backends/helper programs; this
cannot be
# any user or group that resolves to ID 0 for security reasons...
#User lp
#Group lp

# Administrator user group, used to match @SYSTEM in cupsd.conf policy
rules...
SystemGroup lpadmin

# User that is substituted for unauthenticated (remote) root accesses...
#RemoteRoot remroot

Many thanks again
Helmut.

--