On 21-May-13 17:07, Nick Khamis wrote:
We recently moved our stateful firewall inside, and would like to
strip down the firewall at our router connected to the outside world.
The problem I am experiencing is getting things to work properly
without connection tracking. I hope I am not in breach of mailing list
rules however, a stripped down configuration is as follows:

<STRIP OBVIOUS THINGS I.E. IPTABLES, INTERFACES, LOOPBACK>

#echo -e "       - Defined Chains"
$IPTABLES -N TCP
$IPTABLES -N UDP

#echo -e "       - Accepting SSH Traffic"
$IPTABLES -A TCP -p tcp -m tcp -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 192.168.2.5
--dport 22 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A TCP -p tcp -m tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 192.168.2.5 --dport 22 -j DROP

#echo -e "       - Accepting input TCP and UDP traffic to open ports"
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $INTIF1 -p tcp --syn -j TCP
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $INTIF1 -p udp -j UDP

#echo -e "       - Accepting output TCP and UDP traffic to open ports"
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o $INTIF1 -p tcp --syn -j TCP
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o $INTIF1 -p udp -j UDP

<STRIP THE REST AND CONSIDER ALL REMAINING DROPPED/REJECTED>

Everything works fine with the REJECT rules commented out, but when
included SSH access is blocked out. Not sure why, isn't the sequence
correct (i.e., the ACCPET entries before the DROP and REJECT)?

Also, any pointers or heads up when going stateless would be greatly
appreciated.

I do not understand why you *want* to omit statefullness,
but if you do, you have to take care of corresponding part
of ip-traffic yourself.

First, you'd better learn someting about "3-way handshaking".
That's the way tcp/ip connection is opened. Shortly:

1. client sends to server tcp/ip packet with "syn" flag
2. server responds with "syn/ack" flags
3. client sends "ack"

Now look at your rules: you covered only the first part with:
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $INTIF1 -p tcp --syn -j TCP

Where is OUTPUT rule for "syn/ack", and INPUT for "ack"?
Nowhere, and because of that you can not open tcp-connection
if drop/reject rules are in effect.

But instead of playing with tcp-flags I strongly recommend
to use statefull firewall, which takes care of this with
one simple rule.

Jarry