On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you using a self-configured kernel?  What sound chip is in your laptop?
> What driver are you using?  If it's an Intel codec, have you tried enabling
> all different variants of that codec in the kernel?

Nikos,

Thank you for your help.

1. I am using a self-configured kernel (I have been doing this since I
installed Gentoo two years ago)

2. My sound card is an Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

3. I am using the driver CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL

4. I have not tried enabling all intel codec in the kernel, but I will.

===

While gathering the answers to your questions, I discovered something
interesting:

5. /etc/init.d/alsasound was not running

6. Eventhough /etc/init.d/alsasound was not running, I am getting
audio (just crappy audio)

7. Eventhough /etc/init.d/alsasound is listed as an rc-update boot
service, it still wasn't running

8. While /etc/init.d/alsasound was not running, alsamixer still works

9. If I execute "/etc/init.d/alsasound start", alsasound will start.
Sound quality improves but still has low quality.

Can anyone explain 6, 7, or 8?

Thank you,

Chris