In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:

> The problem isn't obvious to me, but in the past I've seen strange linking
> errors happen when the ebuild (for some strange reason) uses the headers
> in /usr/include (from the previous version of the package) instead of the
> headers in the new source code.  No idea why.

> Anyway, you could try removing your current mesa installation (after using
> quickpkg, of course) and then trying the emerge again.

Sometimes when a package fails to build while doing an:

emerge -auDN world

I've had to add the '--with-bdeps=y' option:

emerge -auDN --with-bdeps=y world

For some reason I can't understand, it seems to work. It may not help
with mesa-9.1.2-r1 but it doesn't take much effort and can't hurt to try

--
Regards,
Gregory Shearman.