On 6/20/2013 02:31, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
Hi,

I'd like start IPython with Python3 as underlying Python interpretor.
GenToo has some magic to invoke IPython which I don't understand.

/usr/bin/ipython is a symlink to /usr/bin/python-exec which is a script
invoking the binary /usr/bin/python-exec-c

I don't have Python3 as standard Python version (too dangerous with
Portage?)

How can I convince IPython to use Python3?

I've tried
python3 /usr/lib64/python3.3/site-packages/spyderlib/widgets/ipython.py
but hits just quits without any visible action.

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut

If you built dev-python/ipython with PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_2", then there will be a /usr/bin/ipython-python3.2 script that will launch IPython with the Python 3.2 interpreter, even if the default Python implementation is 2.7.

--
♫Dustin
http://dustin.hatch.name/