Martin~
Yes. Portmap shows status: started on both machines

John D

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Eisenhardt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 1:41 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nfs behavior

Hello John,

On Friday 02 September 2005 19:31, John Dangler wrote:
> I setup nfs on a file server and my laptop and the first couple of days
> everything was running fine.
> I had to reboot the file server, and now all commands on the laptop to the
> /mnt directory lock up.
> e.g. - [EMAIL PROTECTED]: ls /mnt
>
> just sits.
>
> I have to kill the terminal window, since there is no way to exit from it.
>
> if I try umount /mnt/Mambo , I get
> Cannot MOUNTPROG RPC: RPC: Program not registered.
> umount: /mnt/Mambo: device is busy.
> Cannot MOUNTPROG RPC: RPC: Program not registered.
> umount: /mnt/Mambo: device is busy.
>
> Any suggestions on what's going on here ?

Are you sure that the portmapper service is running on both the server and
the
laptop? Check

        /etc/init.d/portmap status

and start the portmapper if it is not already running.

Regards
Martin

--
Dipl. Wirtsch.Inf. (Univ.) Martin Eisenhardt

Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg
Department Business Informatics and Applied Computer Science
Media Informatics Group

D - 96045 Bamberg

fon: +49 (951) 863 2856
fax: +49 (951) 863 2852