On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.a...@sayusi.hu>wrote:

> On 15 July 2013 21:08, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > Is your user included in the plugdev group, as the networkmanager
> > ebuild recommends?
>
> No. It was not part of that group. The install was a part of a bigger
> set of packages and I haven't read the output. It is my bad. on the
> other hand, the tutorial why does not mention about anything?

The ebuild says it:

src_prepare() {
        DOC_CONTENTS="To modify system network connections without needing
to enter the
                root password, add your user account to the 'plugdev'
group."

When you install it, a message appears with that text.

> I added the the user to that group and the wicd working well. I
> dropped networkmanager as far as it was possible. It is part of the
> unity environment.

Actually is part of GNOME, like pretty much everything behind the curtains
in Unity.

> > Again, try adding your user to the plugdev group.

> >> unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
> >> Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
> >>
> >> emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
> >>
> >> All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
> >> the right thing always for networking. I promise.
> >
> > If the problem is that the user is not in the plugdev group, it will
> > also happen with wicd, which makes this one of the worsts pieces of
> > advice I have seen in this list. Which is a lot to say.
>
> Yes, it happened the same with wicd as well. After I added the user to
> the plugdev group everything is working fine.

Thought so.

> >> networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
> >> never seems to actually work for people.
> >
> > It works for me. In all kind of networks in several continents, with
> > all kind of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks, connecting through my
> > cellphone and obviously with ethernet too.
> >
> > Funny you said that Alan, when was the last time you heard about a
> > problem with NM in the list? I count less than 20 mails *mentioning*
> > NM in the list in 2013, and none of them are (IIRC) direct problems
> > with NM.
> >
> >> You should not use software like that.
> >
> > You should do a little more research before saying something like that
> > about a piece of software that just works most of the time.
>
> I understand Alan feelings. The strange is that Ubuntu use wicd. I
> don't know whether by default or not.

I didn't knew Unity used wicd. Glad to hear it worked.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México