On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 22:21 -0300, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 19:06:13 -0400, Michael Crute wrote:
> > > additionally carry around a thumbdrive. I was wondering if anyone has
> > > been able to install Gentoo on a thumbdrive. I assume it could be
> > > treated like a regular hard drive, correct?
> >
> > Incorrect. Flash memory only has a limited write lifetime, treating it
> > like a hard drive will kill it in no time.
> >

> Yup. Like in three years or so... I've dropped both floppies and CD-RW discs
> in favor of pendrives (1GB)
>
> The down side is: not every computer out there can boot from a USB device. So
> for some computers, you still have to carry a boot floppy, but I can live
> with it for now.
>
> Regards,
> Norberto
Hi,
A little OT here, but just wanted to mention a distro (XoL IIRC) it's a
derivative of SoL (Server oriented? Linux) linux project (check
distrowatch.com), there are some more projects under SoL.
Basic idea is to run the main system from CD-ROM but have all configs &
docs on an USB-pen drive. So in theory boot the CD, work, save your
docs/work and go on. Moving office w/o a laptop.
PS: no experience with this checked the page though.
Rumen