Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Steven J. Long wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > You might as well ask why do you need or want any other form of IPC
> > > you already have, as that is what dbus is. It's a very small, light
> > > daemon, can run system-wide or per-session and has the potential to
> > > many of the IPC implementations you already have.
> >
> > You might as well just use the existing IPC mechanisms too,
>
> Yes, lets have lots of IPC mechanisms instead of one daemon that handles
> IPC for everything.

It's called an "operating system."

> While we're at it, let's get rid of syslog and add
> file logging code to every program that needs it. cron and at seem a bit
> of a waste of space too.

Strawmen burn so well, don't they?

I know, let's do all process-scheduling in user-space, I mean who needs
preemptive
multi-tasking when we have such experts in the early userspace at our disposal.
User-land threading works really well too: so long as we worship at the altar of
the great God Lennart, blocking and synchronisation can be handled via prayer
and
the sacrifice of a small, modular utility every sunrise.

--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)