On 24/07/2013 19:22, Mick wrote:
I am getting messages like the one below from portage every now and then.
Especially, about /var/run, but in this case about a different directory:

* Messages for package dev-libs/klibc-1.5.20:

  * One or more symlinks to directories have been preserved in order to
  * ensure that files installed via these symlinks remain accessible. This
  * indicates that the mentioned symlink(s) may be obsolete remnants of an
  * old install, and it may be appropriate to replace a given symlink with
  * the directory that it points to.
  *
  *      /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
  *

Perhaps I am having a senior moment, but I am not clear what I should do
despite the friendly message.  This is the symlink in question:

ls -la /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Nov  8  2008 /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm -> asm-x86

How am I supposed to *replace* it with the directory that it points to?

I would take it to mean that /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm should be a directory and contain the files that are currently residing in the asm-x86 directory. For example:

# rm asm
# mkdir asm
# mv -- asm-x86/* asm/
# rmdir asm-x86