On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:51 AM, Thanasis <thana...@asyr.hopto.org> wrote:
> on 08/01/2013 01:10 AM Bruce Hill wrote the following:

>>> Looking into /sys/dev/block it seems like /dev/sda is on ata1 and
>>> /dev/sdb is on ata2, and since there is nothing else attached to the
>>> system, the ata6 problem may be related to a controller (as Bruce said),
>>> and hopefully not a disk drive.
>>
>> Sorry I don't have time to reply atm. If either drive has errors continuing,
>> please change the SATA cable for a new one. Or, at least, reseat them, and
>> aftewards report results.
>>

> I keep the cable connected to both the motherboard's sata port and to
> the external eSata disk enclosure.
> I noticed that the cable indeed needed reseating, but on the other hand,
> the external disk had *not* been powered on since last reboot, i.e.
> before these "errors or warnings" in dmesg had appeared.

Some internal SATA ports apparently don't support hotplugging. I don't
know if perhaps your chipset is one of them, if you Google your
motherboard's SATA chipset maybe you can find out. If it has always
worked before and now suddenly throws errors, that seems unlikely to
be the cause...

> FWIW, after reseating the cable, I powered the external disk on, run a
> forced fsck on it, and no errors where reported.

Or maybe that's all it was. :)