On 08/17/2013 02:26 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

>>> Absolutely agreed.
>>
>> Might be a good time to switch to freebsd :-(
>
> I agree. This is the only escape plan against the new wind of
> dictation into monolithic approach that comes from systemd sponsors
> direction.
>
> Let's see how it turns out... if Linux userspace will become like the
> Windows user space, then freebsd suddenly looks very promising
> alternative.
>
> Regards,
> Alon

I've considered this as well. It's simply beyond me why so many people
are willing to drink the kool-aid from a *single upstream* and let them
shape the entire GNU/Linux landscape. It's one thing to support an
*option*, but quite another to *force* users to use this option. Systemd
itself doesn't look to be forced yet, but if the requirements for it are
forced onto users, forcing systemd afterwards would be child's play. I
saw this in action when I used Arch. It started with bash functions in
their init scripts calling some systemd tools. Then the /usr merge.
Eventually systemd itself was pushed. I'm beginning to lose confidence
that Gentoo will avoid the same fate as Arch. Even Debian is falling to
the systemd crowd. If this keeps up, it's only a matter of time before
systemd infects every Linux-based distribution and BSD will be the only
major free OS to avoid it. Red Hat may end up digging its claws into the
kernel itself. What will protect the Linux landscape, if not distros
like Gentoo that supposedly support user choice? Will all users who give
a damn be forced to run LFS or Slackware if they wish to use Linux as
their kernel? Maintain their own portage|pacman|deb repos and keep
systems free of systemd? Where does the madness end?