On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:10:26 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > So, how do/can you *guarantee* that nothing ever gets out of sync?
>
> You could add a custom postinst function to /etc/portage that would
> check whether any of the files included in your initramfs are newer than
> the initramfs/kernel and send an ewarn if so.

Running this once after each emerge world/system would be more efficient
than running it after every package, something like this

#!/bin/sh

KERNEL="/boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r)"

for FILE in $(awk '/^file/ {print $3}' /usr/src/init.cfg); do
        if [[ ${FILE} -nt ${KERNEL} ]]; then
                echo "${FILE} is newer than initramfs"
                fi
        done

Incidentally, testing this showed that my busybox has been updated since
the kernel was built, but I have managed to reboot without the sky
falling in.

--
Neil Bothwick