On Thu, August 22, 2013 11:17, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:20:23 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>
>>  No one has demonstrated that it can. An initramfs isn't magic, it
>> > caries out a couple of trivial tasks before switching to the real root
>> > partition.
>>
>> The issue mentioned was an example. It was also:
>> 1) The only one I can remember from the last 4 or 5 years
>> 2) Easily avoided with a "rebuild initramfs" notice during upgrade
>
> 3) spurious as the poster then realised that this was a PEBKAC problem.
> So in 5 years you have seen one problem blamed on the initramfs, and all
> but one of those reported problems were actually down the the initramfs.

Also the reason why I don't see a problem with the current methods for
initramfs usage.

>> I think part of the "problem" with it is that the documentation about it
>> isn't clear.
>
> No argument there.
>
>> There are tools (genkernel / dracut /..? ) that can
>> automate the generation of it. But it isn't clear what exactly it is
>> doing. If there would be a clear guide on how to do it manually, or a
>> tool that would assist in building the file(s) needed to have it build
>> into the kernel, then it might be more acceptable to some.
>
> There are two. A rather terse one in the kernel documentation, I posted
> the location earlier in the thread, and a page on the Wiki that describes
> the process in more detail, including an example init script. I've just
> looked for it and it has expanded since I last need to look at it
>
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
>
> Or if you look at the official Gentoo documentation it links to the
> various resources.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/initramfs-guide.xml

Last time I looked, the information was too minimal to create the config
needed for my setup. Genkernel was the simpler method.
The current version seems more complete. I will give it another go when I
find a spare moment.

--
Joost