On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:45:15 +0100, Mick wrote:
>
> > > emerge zfs works too :)
> > >
> > > I really like the way ZFS just lets you get on with things.
> >
> > Does anyone run it on a desktop/laptop as their day to day fs?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Any
> > drawbacks or gotchas?  Other than reliability, how does it perform
> > compared say to ext4?
>
> I haven't benchmarked it. It feels as if it may be a little slower on my
> desktop with spinning disks, but that may be down to other factors, like
> impatience. It flies on my laptop's SSD.

Additional note:

*Of course* it will be slower than ext*, because during every read it
ensures that the block being read has a proper checksum.

Likewise on writes.

But that IMO is very worth it just for the additional peace-of-mind,
knowing you will never ever have a silent corruption.

--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
* ~ IT Optimizer ~**