On Monday 05 September 2005 09:56 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> thanks to all...
>
> i finally get the cdrom work, not perfectly though, i change
> the BIOS setting that use S-ATA only instead and keep P-ATA
> enabled, which makes cdrom the primary 1st, the sata drive
> recognized as primary third. (i hate such layout !! i prefer
> the hard disk to be the primary first and recognized as hda).
>
> at last, the sata drive was recognized as sda, so that's the
> whole story,
>
> now i'm wondering what on earth are the changes made with those
> BIOS settings, and how it affect the kernel? (because whatever i
> configure, the M$ Windows just works perfectly).
>
> i would not think the problem solved already, i'll take a look at
> this later.
>
> thanks again.
> daniel
>
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 02:35:51PM -0400, Greg Yasko wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:19:37 +0800, danielhf wrote:
> > > i upgrade my system to use udev instead of previously known
> > > devfs, and leave the devfs option blank while configure the
> > > kernel, but recently, i found i could not mount my cdrom,
> > > there is no such device at all! the /dev/cdrom and the like has
> > > gone!
> > >
> > > any ideas please, thanks a lot.
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > daniel
> >
> > I had the same problem several months ago when I upgraded to the 2.6
> > kernel and udev.
> >
> > Just boot off the livecd, mount the / partition and delete .devfsd from
> > the /dev directory. That should do it.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > -G.Y.

I just had a similar problem after I updated udev (I think). I run ~x86
systems, always kept current, so I expect a few minor hiccups, even though
I'm extremely careful  with etc-update. There seems to be some weird stuff
going on with udev, at least on my system, but after a lot of reading on the
formum, and trying many things, I tried changing my fstab line

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,rw,user
0 0

to this.

/dev/hdc        /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,rw,user          0 0

I think some rule in the new udev changed, and it wasn't creating cdroms and
cdrom0 anymore- only /dev/hdc.

I looked in /dev, and sure enough, the cdrom and cdrw links point to the hdc
block device.

Anyway, whatever it was, changing the fstab line now lets me mount cdroms
normally, as before.

Robert Crawford