2013/9/3 William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au>

> On 03/09/13 11:26, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> [13-09-03 05:08]:

> somehow?
> >>>

> >> Have you run out of inodes? - ext 4 has had very mixed success for me on
> >> solid state.  Running out of inodes is a real problem for gentoo on
> >> smaller SD cards with standard settings.
> >>
> >> BillK
> >>

> > Does this error message from fsck indicate that? I am really bad in
> > guessing what fsck tries to cry at me ... ;)

> found.

> > Is there any way to correct the settings from the default values to
> > more advances ones, which respect the sdcard size of 16GB *without*
> > blanking it...a "correction on the fly" so to say???
> >
> > And if not: Is there a way to backup the sdcard and playback the files
> > after reformatting it by preserving all three time stamps of the
> > files (atime is deactivated via fstab though) ?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >

> df -i - if you get 100% iUSE or near to it thats your problem ... I have
> seen that error message you give as a result of running out of inodes
> corrupting the FS.
>
> No, your only way out is to copy (I use rync) the files off, recreate
> the fs with max inodes ("man mke2fs") and rsync the files back.  Once an
> ext* fs has been created with a certain number of inodes its fixed until
> you re-format.
>
> I get it happening regularly on 4G cards when I forget and just emerge a
> couple of packages without cleaning up in between packages.  On 16G
> cards, its compiling something like glibc or gcc that uses huge numbers
> of inodes at times.  On a single 32G card I have, the standard settings
> have been fine ... so far :)
>
> Billk

Just my  2 cents: while updating I think it would it be a good practice to
have some sort of external storage (even networked) and do a unionfs with
the working file system.  Some folders inside /usr use to keep almost half
(more, sometimes) of all files in my systems (like "/usr/portage" ,
"/usr/src" and "/usr/include" , which are not needed while not under system
maintenance).

Francisco