On 09/11/13 00:44, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On 10/09/2013 23:50, Joseph wrote:
I forgot to mention.
My router is an old 486-box running freesco. So I'm trying to find out
if the router is the problem with slow connection.
as my download speed on cable is only 3.7Mbps and it should be about
15Mbps up to 25Mbps
upload speed is 1.5Mbps

What speed NIC do you have in that 486?

10M? 100M? And is it running full duplex?

3.7M is, IIRC, about what I'd expect from 10M half-duplex. NIC cards of
that era were prone to getting auto-negotiation badly wrong.
Even an old 486 should be able to deal with 100M traffic easily.

Even so, I'd still not trust your cable provider's advice. There is
still a good chance the problem really is with the cable connection.

I called shaw tech.support and we did all kind of testing, with box connected
directly to the modem (by-passing the router); no difference.
So they've scheduled technician to test it, they suspect it could be a modem itself.
--
Joseph