I've been struggling with today's update of systemd on ~arch because the
ebuild keeps accusing me of using a "compatibility symlink to run systemd"
during bootup.

Yes, guilty as charged, I told grub2 to use /usr/bin/systemd as 'init', when
/usr/bin/systemd has been, until now, a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd.

Yes, I pled guilty to this crime and changed my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to use
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd instead of /usr/bin/systemd -- and yet I got the
same condemnation every time I tried to emerge -auND world.

An additional glass of chardonnay didn't solve this frustration, so I dared
to read the systemd ebuild, which confessed that it reads the value of
/proc/1/cmdline to find me guilty and ignores my new /boot/grub2/grup.cfg,
which would have proved my innocence.

IOW, you must reboot after changing your grub.cfg before the ebuild will
withdraw it's accusation.

HTH someone avoid the same problem.

Cheers :)