On 2013-09-13 5:47 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are modern SSDs reliable enough to negate the need for mirroring or do
they still crap out?

You definitely want to mirror, but I'd be very interested in some statistics comparing rebuild times on a RAID5 and RAID 6 with SSD's, vs 15K SAS drives, vs 7200 SATA drives.

My gut feeling is, the rebuild times on SSDs just might eliminate the biggest problem with RAID5/6, which has always been, the more drives/larger the RAID, the longer the rebuild times when (not if) you lose a drive.

With regular hard drives, rebuild times can be DAYS using SATA drives. If this can be reduced to a few hours (or less?) if using SSDs, then I'd seriously consider using RAID 6, since you don't lose nearly as much usable storage as you do when using RAID10 (you always lose 50%).

But of course, with ZFS, most of these questions become moot...

If you can, I'd go with JBOD and ZFS RAID...