On 16/09/13 at 01:37pm, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a somewhat strange problem, which occurs on both my laptop and my
> desktop-pc, both running gentoo. From one day to the other, all KDE-based
> music/media player don't start playing music anymore.
> I've tried Amarok, Kaffeine and Juk, and all of them seem to hang when
> starting
> any kind of music file (mp3/flac/wma). But, strangly, kaffeine plays videos
> with
> sound without a problem. Also, other programs (non-kde), for example audacity
> and xine, play mp3 files properly.
> In kde's system settings, the phonon configuration dialog play its test
> sounds
> properly.
>
> Any ideas? Any idea why it affects two different systems pretty much at the
> same
> time? Any idea why it worked yesterday morning and started to have troubles
> yesterday evening, without having changed anything in the system?
>
> BTW: dmesg shows a lot of lines that might be relevant:
> [21219.855176] traps: alsa-sink[12956] general protection ip:7f08486569f2
> sp:7f083fff6b70 error:0 in libasound.so.2.0.0[7f0848600000+ea000]
> one per attempt to play anything in amarok.
>
> Best regards
>       Alex

Not sure but this looks like an issue with the phonon backend. What
backend have you got configured? try compiling another one and see if
you have the same issues.

A quick google brings up this, seems old though.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-880043-start-0.html

--

- Yohan Pereira

The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
between a mermaid and a seal.
                -- Mark Twain