When I reinstall CUPS /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is *not* updated.
Details follow.

Cups was behaving badly: the web interface could not be used.  The
browser would quickly say no process was listening on localhost:631

I compared cupsd.conf to the same file on another working system and
noticed the following differences

  1. *Many* pairs of lines were missing.  The first line of each pair
     was blank; the second a comment.  Presumably this has no effect.

  2. The initial block comment was missing.  Again no effect.

  3. One very influential change
       Listen localhost:631
     was replaced by a second copy of
       Listen /run/cups/cups.sock
     When I manually put back localhost:631
     the cups web interface again behaved normally.

  4. The following block was *added* at the end
        JobPrivateAccess default
        JobPrivateValues default
        MaxLogSize 2000000
        SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
        SubscriptionPrivateValues default

     The first, second, fourth, and fifth generated "Unknown directive"
     messages in /var/log/cups/error.log

So I reinstalled cups but /etc/cups/cupd.conf was not changed and still
has its old date and contents.  The merge looks clean (output below)

I am wondering if there is something wrong with my setup.
I have the userpriv feature enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
allan

 * Messages for package net-print/cups-1.6.3-r2:

 * Package:    net-print/cups-1.6.3-r2
 * Repository: gentoo
 * Maintainer: print...@gentoo.org
 * USE:        X acl amd64 dbus elibc_glibc filters kernel_linux pam
python_single_target_python2_7 python_targets_python2_7 ssl threads usb
userland_GNU
 * FEATURES:   preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     3.11.0-gentoo-rcs-1.3
 * Applying cups-1.6.0-dont-compress-manpages.patch ...
 * Applying cups-1.6.0-fix-install-perms.patch ...
 * Applying cups-1.4.4-nostrip.patch ...
 * Applying cups-1.5.0-systemd-socket-2.patch ...
 * Applying cups-1.6.2-statedir.patch ...
 * Applying cups-1.6.3-colord-profile.patch ...
 * Running aclocal -I config-scripts ...
 * Running autoconf ...
 * LANGS="ca es fr ja ru"
 * LINGUAS=""
 * Skipping make test/check due to ebuild restriction.
 * Updating icons cache ...
 * Updating desktop mime database ...