Am 18.09.2013 06:11, schrieb Grant:
>> I have to set up a server w/ 8x 1TB in about 2 weeks and consider ZFS as
>> well, at least for data. So root-fs would go onto 2x 1TB hdds with
>> conventional partitioning and something like ext4.
>
> Is a layout like this with the data on ZFS and the root-fs on ext4 a
> better choice than ZFS all around?

Not better ... I just suggested this being conservative and cautious.

With a classic root-fs things would be splitted ... if the root-fs
breaks or I need to use some live-media to fix things this would all be
non-zfs-related operations.

In the specific case I am still unsure if I want to use zfs at all. And
I could suggest the customer a test-phase ... if it is not working as
intended I could easily roll back the 6 disks to an LVM-based software
RAID etc (moving data aside for the "conversion").

I am hesitating because I don't have zfs anywhere productive at
customers ... only for my own purposes in the basement where there is no
real performance issue.

And the customer in case wants reliability ... ok that would be provided
by zfs but I am not as used to admin that as I am with "native linux
file systems". It also leads to other topics ... I can only backup VMs
via LVM-based-snapshots (virt-backup.pl) when I use LVM, for example.

rootfs on ZFS or "everything on ZFS" would have advantages, sure. No
partitioning at all, resizeable zfs-filesystems for everything,
checksums for everything ... you name it.

In my case I have to decide until Sep, 25th -> installation day ;-)

Stefan