On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
<h.v.bruineh...@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 09:49:40PM -0700, Grant wrote:
>> > I think many folks are interested in upgrading to EXT4 with RAID  from
>> > an ordinary JBOD workstation(server); or better yet to ZFS on RAID. I wish
>> > one of the brighter minds amongst us would put out a skeleton
>> > (wiki) information page as such:
>> >
>> > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS+RAID
>> >
>> > I know I have struggled with completing this sort of installation
>> > several time in the last 6 months. I'm sure this (proposed) wiki page
>> > would get lots of updates from the Gentoo user community. Surely,
>> > I'm not qualified to do this, or it would have already been on the
>> > gentoo wiki....
>> >
>> > Much of the older X + RAID pages are deprecated, when one considers
>> > the changes that accompany such an installation ( Grub2, UUID, fstab,
>> > partitioning of drives, Kernel options, just to name a few). We're
>> > talking about quite a bit of deviation from the standard handbook
>> > installation, fraught with hidden, fatal mis-steps.
>>
>> Any important points or key concepts a ZFS newbie should remember when
>> installing with it for the first time?
>>
>> - Grant
>

> You should definitely determine the right value for ashift on pool creation
> (it controls the alignment on the medium). It's an option that you afaik can
> only set
> on filesystem creation and therefore needs a restart from scratch if you get
> it
> wrong.
> According to the illumos wiki it's possible to run a mixed pool (if you have
> drives requiring different alignments[1])
> If in doubt: ask ryao (iirc given the right information he can tell you which
> are the right options for you if you can't deduce it yourself).
> Choosing the wrong alignment can cause severe performance loss (that's not
> a ZFS issue but happened when 4k sector drives appeared and tools like fdisk
> weren't aware of this).
>
> WKR
> Hinnerk

Especially with SSDs. One must find out the blocksize used by his/her SSDs.

With spinning disks, setting ashift=12 is enough since no spinning
disks have sectors larger than 2^12 bytes.

With SSDs, one might have to set ashift=13 or even ashift=14.

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~