On 09/29/2013 11:40 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:

> You're right, though; it's a problem that lots of programs have. I
> guess it's the natural result of modular software that has
> interdependencies. You basically need *everything* available on boot.

You don't need everything (obviously -- otherwise dracut/init* would not
work)  Only the things necessary to get the system bootstrapped.

It occurs to me that anything dracut fetches from /usr/* to put in the
initrd is the stuff that has caused the breakage.

To me, the requirement for an initramfs/initrd is an admission of
failure.  Breaking the rules is what made it required.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwo...@gmail.com